Reimbursement of war damages to Ukraine
On February 24, 2022 Russia launched a full-scale war in Ukraine. According to the Government’s estimates, the resulting damages may reach one trillion USD. The process of reimbursement of the damages will face many challenges, and the vision of the future mechanism for such reimbursement comes to the foreground in this context.
The goal of the project #Compensation4UA/Reimbursement of war damages to Ukraine. Development of the models of legal and institutional reimbursement mechanism is to develop proposals and concepts of legal and diplomatic mechanisms of reimbursement of the damages inflicted due to the Russian aggression. We strive to raise public awareness of different aspects of this process and promote public discussion of the problem and proposals for solving it.
The project is implemented within the grant provided by the International Renaissance Foundation.
1. To promote development of effective legal and diplomatic mechanisms of reimbursement of the damages inflicted due to the Russian aggression in Ukraine.
2. To identify a set of measures the victims have to take to get reimbursement.
3. To raise awareness of the society and the victims of the Russian aggression in Ukraine as far as the principles and the mechanisms of reimbursement of the damages inflicted due to the armed conflict are concerned.
4. To make a contribution into the development of international and national models of reimbursement to Ukraine, with due account of other cases of post-conflict settlement.
5. To ensure advocacy of the project outputs for them to be taken into account in the development of the Government’s strategies and policies related to ensuring compensation payment to the victims of the Russian aggression in Ukraine in the long run.